Sunday, September 19, 2010

Marathon!!



I just ran a freakin Marathon!!! Stacie and I have been training for this marathon for the entire summer. It has consumed our every thought and taken over our lives. The moment finally arrived. Friday night we drove up to Logan and stayed in a hotel to be close to the buses that would take us up to the top of the canyon where we would officially begin the coolest thing either of us has ever done aside from child birth.
We stopped at a gas station before entering Logan canyon and got us a little power treat. After all, we were about to run a marathon! We could eat whatever we wanted!
I apologize for the play by play you are about to receive of this event, but it was a monumentous occasion and we needed to celebrate every detail. We checked into our hotel, went to the expo. to pick up our packets and then we were off to dinner. We went to a little dive called Fredrico's up on the USU campus. It was referred to us by a friend and turned out to be kind of a mistake. It wasn't that the food was horrible, but we were both a little too anxious to eat anything really. We each ate a bit, decided we felt sick, so we took the rest in a to go box and went back to the hotel to lay in our beds.













This is us and our pizza. Trying to smile and not puke or toot or whatever we needed to do find the relief we needed.
Back in our hotel room where we were free to let our air express itself the way it needed to..We shared in this experience and giggled and giggled like little old women that couldn't control their bodily functions..
Ahhh, feeling much better.
Then it was time to play again. We put on our fake tatoos that came in our race packets. I loved them! I kind of wish it would never wash off.
Stacie being what all girls are when they have a gno. Total goof balls
And then it was time to wake up. And although I had been laying there since 2:45 a.m. waiting for it to be 4:00 a.m., I took a picture of the clocks to show you how stupid crazy we really are.
And we are out the door to catch the buses.
When we arrived at the top of the canyon, it was still dark with a million jillion stars in the sky. It was freezing and beautiful. I didn't have the camera for this part which I regret. But I will try and describe it. We stood in line at the porta potties which is what you do before any race. I felt as if I was standing in some quiet reverent place, the silhouettes of the Mountains were surrounding us with the light of the stars and the sun barely making its first light. There was a path leading down to the start line that was lined with glow sticks so you could see your way. We made our way down that lit up path to the start and at exactly 7:03 a.m. the gun went off. Stacie and I grabbed hands, looked at each other and with tears in our eyes and began this 26.2 mile journey. It was now light out and the fall colors on the Mountains with the morning mist was so beautiful. I was just trying to soak it all in. The excitement, the energy and the beauty. We continued down the canyon for 6.5 miles and talked mostly of this experience. How we are a bit sad that it is going to be over soon and that we will never have a first marathon again. But proud of ourselves for actually standing in that place in time doing what we were doing. I remember feeling that I wish my family could see what I was seeing and feel what I was feeling.
My family greeting Stacie as she came out of the canyon at mile 14.5
And that's me in the black about 10 minutes behind her at this point going to greet my family. I stopped to give them hugs and say Hi. It was so good to see them.
At mile 16.5 I saw Erin who was waiting to run with me for a mile. When I saw her, I started to cry. She told me to let it all out but it was too soon in the game. I needed to keep my composure. At that moment James was standing beside me. I gave him a hug and we were off. James has been planning on meeting me for a couple of weeks now. And it has meant the world to me to know that I would have someone to rely on, perhaps carry me if needed. Someone to talk to and who has done this several times before. It gave me such comfort to have him there. We ran until about 17.5 and we saw the family again standing there cheering for us. I grabbed his and Erin's hand for the picture. Little did I know that James was doing a happy dance on the side of me. I had no idea he did that until I saw these pictures later.

My cheering squad. They were at 3 different places along the course and then the finish line. Everytime I saw them, I would get choked up a bit. I was so grateful for their support. James said to me "You are so lucky Lysa.." I know I am. I am blessed beyond words. But not only because of them, but because I have the best friends in the whole world also. Everyone of them left their cozy beds at 6:30 a.m. on a Saturday morning to drive an hour 1/2 to go and support me while running this race. And a few of them even ran it with me! Erin for a mile, and then Cameron jumped in and ran the last 10 miles with James and I. It was entertaining to run with those two for that long and it was also touching.
Somewhere along the course. I don't know what mile this is but we ran past my family again as they held up signs. Signs with big Hearts on them. Signs that said "26.2, you are doing it mommy!" And another that said "Tonight you will be able to sit on the couch eating your whole bucket of peanut butter perfection ice cream knowing that you just completed a Marathon!"
Somewhere around mile 19 my calves began to cramp up. It was a strange feeling that has never happened to me before. It was as if my calves were seizing. You could actually see the muscles quivering on their own. When it happened I would feel as though my legs were going to give out and almost get a collapsing feeling. It certainly wasn't the worst thing in the world that could happen, but it was still a little set back. I kept having to stop and stretch and then start again. I was running soooooo slllloooowww. And making many walking stops. James was patient, encouraging and helpful. Cameron was full of kind encouraging words. He kept saying things like "I can't believe you are doing this, I'm so proud of you." It meant so much to me to hear him say that. I laughed at their non-sense and they thoroughly entertained me even in the lulls. {which was pretty much the whole rest of the time} It was fun to run with them. I kept thinking to myself "what if they weren't here.." I couldn't imagine it. I was still nervous, feeling sick at times, dealing with the cramping and tired. My legs hurt. But through it all, they were making me laugh and enjoy all of it. I knew at that point that my time was going to be a disappointment to me. But when I would express that, they would both say something encouraging and understanding. James would say "I think your goal for this marathon should be right around 6 hours..then you won't be disappointed." It would make me laugh, and help me relax about it. I came in at five hours and thirty minutes. About 45 minutes slower then I had anticipated. But you know what?? Looking back on the whole thing, I wouldn't change a thing.. I realize that this is part of the experience of running a marathon. That you don't know what is going to happen, and that you don't know what your body and mind will test you with. But that all these things are part of it. And you need to enjoy it and embrace it because it is your own.

This is the three of us running up the home stretch. James broke off right after this picture was taken and went to find my family.
Cam on the other hand stayed with me into the finish line. Because rules don't apply to the White's. It didn't matter that he didn't have on a number, he ran through th chute anyway. I was worried that he might get in trouble but no one seemed to care or notice. I was actually grateful because over the loud speakers they announced my name as I came across the finish line. "LYSA SMITH!" And it was then that I finally let it all out. I had to hold on to Cam's arm as I cried. More like sobbed. I fell apart.
Cam clapping when they announced my name and the beginning of my sob fest.
I walked and fell into Scott's arms and sobbed some more. I tried to get a grip but every time I looked up and saw them all standing there, I would cry some more. First my mom and dad, then Stacie, then my kids, then James then Cameron and Erin, As I looked at all of them, I had a different thought for each one, a different story of that person that has helped me along this journey and I couldn't contain myself. I was exhausted. I was proud. I was in pain. I was happy. I was grateful. I was relieved. I was so overwhelmed with emotion. I can barely explain it. In fact I can't. I cant' explain what I was feeling.

I finally got control and was able to talk and celebrate. We sat on the grass and were able to share our stories with each other.
My mom and dad were really proud.

My hero's
My biggest best support group, Look at all of them!
We are now home and it is officially over. Well at least for some.
We went home, showered, rested and then put on our shirts and medals and hit the town for a celebration dinner at Smash Burger with our husbands. And yes I felt like a bit of a dork wearing our garb but we are just cool like that so we embrace the coolness that we are.
Eating yummy burgers with homemade french fries, & grasshopper shakes to finish off our big day!
So as I look back on it all, the only words I have left to say is I RAN A FREAKING MARATHON!

8 comments:

  1. Lysa,
    I am sooo proud of you. I think you are amazing. I think back to a different time in our lives and can't believe where you are now. You truly are my hero and I love you sooooooo much. I still feel like crap that I wasn't there, forgive me?
    AMAZING...that is you, my sis!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you for running and finishing a marathon. It's a life dream of mine and the best I can do is pay for two, run zero and follow you around for 10 miles pretending the whole time that I'd been there from the start. It made me super jealous of what you've been able to do because so few people in the world are willing to put in the time and have the discipline necessary to do something phenomenal. What you did was absolutely phenomenal. Woo woo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Lys, on one of the biggest achievements of your life!!

    I love your moment-by-moment descriptions. I love that you had endless support. Love that you recognized strength in relationships. Love that you found courage to carry on despite set backs. And I love that you cried - that you openly embraced the amazing realities of your life.

    It wasn't just about finishing a marathon for you. It was much more.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS. Is it me, or does it look like Scott's not quite sure what to do with a crying Lysa?

    LOL.Precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great play by play. It brought tears to my eyes. SO cool that you had a good spiritual experience. I think it is too. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute. Loved this whole thing! Great memories. You were awesome! You have a great family to support you so much. Congrats you marathon runner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny you say that Kath bc I didn't realize it at the time, but when I looked at the picture I noticed the same thing. He doesn't know what to do with me when I have "feelings"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um...this might sound like a dumb question but, what is a marathon?

    ReplyDelete